Monday, October 20, 2008

Low-Flow Landscaping

With the recent rains, my grass is luxuriant, an emerald carpet! I have neither aerated it nor fertilized it, just watched the free water coming down. But I will not be lulled into complacency. I remember the summers: when my grass was brown and so dry that it crackled when I stepped on it. So I am getting down to business, planning for next year. In my research, I'll look for plants that are native to the Carolinas and drought-resistant. I would like to go for indestructible, if that's not aiming too high.

Here's an attractive North Carolina front yard, shown by H2Ouse Water Saver Homes. Some plants in the picture are clickable, leading us to a larger picture of the plant, along with its identification. You don't have to dig very deeply to find the word "xeriscaping," sometimes spelled "zeriscaping." It combines "xeri," the Greek word for dry, and landscaping. It includes common sense ideas for conserving water, such as mulching, and grouping plants that have similar water needs together.

I am envisioning beds of perennial wild flowers that need very little water. I would like a rock garden, or maybe a path paved with field stones, through the tiny lawn that remains. Something like this - shown in H2Ouse's back yard - with blue star creeper between the stones, would be nice. I have already learned that paving should be done with permeable bricks or paving stones, so that water can soak into the ground, instead of running off.

NC's Division of Water Resources gives a brief summary of xeriscaping. The topic is also included in Clemson University's thorough coverage of Low-Maintenance Landscape Ideas. Like they say, wait till next year!

No comments: