Tuesday, May 6, 2008

In The Mailbox

We are paying almost all our bills online or through automatic withdrawal, but we're still recycling lots of junk mail. Here are some helpers to reduce it and simplify our lives. It will save our time while saving millions of trees and tons of paper.

Catalog Choice is a great help for getting off catalog lists. You can "Browse" through their extensive list of catalogs, recognize the ones you receive, and decline them. You can even check a button to let them know that you are declining the print catalog because you prefer to order from them online (which we usually do). I also found a new online catalog to view there.

The Junk Mail Reduction Campaign also has handy sample letters to help get rid of everything else. Be sure to check out their links, including the Direct Marketing Association program. That process doesn't have a great interface, but it helps to get off lists for "pre-approved" credit card and insurance offers. It is really nice to check your mailbox and find only mail that you want to get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to get stacks of reports and fund requests from non-profit organizations that I support, such as NRDC (National Resources Defense Council). Not junk mail, but still way too much paper! I sent an email saying, "I read your emails and your website. If I choose to donate, I do that online. So please don't send me any more paper." They don't want to waste paper either, so they responded very quickly.